BREAKING NEWS: Seth Lugo looks to build on last season as Royals take on Guardians

Seth Lugo’s first seven seasons in the majors were relatively unremarkable.

That changed when the San Diego Padres signed him ahead of the 2023 season and converted him into a starting pitcher. After a solid year with San Diego, the Kansas City Royals brought him in before the 2024 season, and he went on to finish as the runner-up for the American League Cy Young Award.

Now, the 35-year-old right-hander is set to kick off his 2025 campaign on Saturday as he takes the mound against the visiting Cleveland Guardians in the second game of a three-game series.

Lugo posted an 8-7 record with a 3.57 ERA over 26 starts for the Padres before signing a three-year, $45 million deal with the Royals. He exceeded expectations in 2024, finishing 16-9 with a 3.00 ERA and 181 strikeouts across 33 starts, earning his first All-Star selection.

Despite his impressive season, Lugo is focused on the road ahead rather than dwelling on past success.

“I try to approach the game with the mindset that the past is the past,” Lugo told reporters recently. “You don’t dwell on it. You learn from your mistakes, and that’s what I remember most—more than the better outings. The tough ones stick with you longer, so I’m just trying to build on last year.”

Lugo performed well against the Guardians in 2024, going 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA in three starts.

The Royals, meanwhile, are looking for their first win of the season after dropping Thursday’s opener 7-4 in extra innings. The teams had a day off Friday before resuming the series.

Cleveland had to adjust its plans after standout right-hander Tanner Bibee was scratched from the season opener due to acute gastroenteritis.

“That’s a tough way to begin the season. He’s our Opening Day starter, and he’s more than earned that,” Guardians manager Stephen Vogt said of Tanner Bibee, who was scratched due to illness. “He wanted to pitch, even after dealing with the last 36 hours.”

Bibee’s season debut has been pushed to Sunday, while right-hander Gavin Williams (3-10, 4.86 ERA last season) is set to take the mound on Saturday.

The 25-year-old Williams has fared well against Kansas City, holding a 2-1 record with a 1.88 ERA in five career starts against the Royals.

Cleveland secured a season-opening win on Thursday, scoring three runs in the 10th inning to pull away.

Steven Kwan broke the tie with an RBI double before Kyle Manzardo sealed the victory with a two-run double, capping an impressive performance.

Manzardo went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer in the sixth and finished with four RBIs, tying the franchise’s Opening Day record set by Hall of Famer Tris Speaker (1925) and Leon Wagner (1964).

“He could be the anchor of our lineup,” Kwan said of the 24-year-old Manzardo. “He handles so many different pitches, and his power is effortless. He’s a professional hitter—not just looking to pull the ball but taking advantage of mistakes.

“He has a plan at the plate. He does it all. It’s such a mature approach for a young guy, and it’s fun to watch.”

Kansas City’s offense was highlighted by Vinnie Pasquantino’s three-run homer in the third inning, but it wasn’t enough to avoid a third straight Opening Day loss.

“Opening Day is always special—it’s something you dream about as a kid,” said Pasquantino, who played through a minor hamstring issue. “We haven’t been able to win one yet, but there’s always next year. The good news is, we’ve got another chance on Saturday.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*